Social Norms in Evelina

Through various characters in Evelina, Frances Burney demonstrates the preoccupation with reputation and propriety that is often associated with England in the eighteenth century. This theme is made evident in the first exchange of letters between Lady Howard and Mr. Villars. In her account of Madame Duval’s letter, Lady Howard acknowledges Madame Duval’s concerns for her own reputation: “she is totally at a loss in what manner to behave; she seems desirous to repair the wrongs she had done, yet wishes the world to believe her blameless” (Burney 11). Lady Howard goes on to condemn Madame Duval’s faux pas of writing to her at all: “it is evident, from her writing, that she is still as vulgar and illiterate as when her first husband, Mr. Evelyn, had the weakness to marry her; nor does she at all apologize for addressing herself to me, though I was only once in her company” (Burney 12). Lady Howard’s disdain for Madame Duval is obvious, and it seems that Duval’s failure to uphold social mores plays a key role in Howard’s categorization of her as an “unworthy woman” (Burney 12). Meanwhile, the mutually apologetic and gracious tones employed by both Lady Howard and Mr. Villars present these two as being very much aware of (if not obsessed with) social norms, and an urgent desire not to offend one another at any cost.

While this emphasis on manners is attributed to multiple characters, it is arguably the most significant trait of the protagonist, Evelina. She is constantly worried about offending others or embarrassing herself by going against social norms that she is unfamiliar with. She uses the word “shame” or “ashamed” numerous times when describing these anxieties: when asking Mr. Villars for permission to go to London (“I am half ashamed of myself for beginning this letter” [Burney 25]), when she can’t afford to buy anything from the mercers in the shop (“they took so much trouble, that I was almost ashamed that I could not” [Burney 30]), her anxiety during her first meeting with Lord Orville (“I was seized with a panic, that I could hardly speak a word, and nothing but the shame of so soon changing my mind, prevented me returning to my seat” [Burney 32]). Evelina describes her own self-consciousness as being a result of her upbringing as a “simple rustic… one whose ignorance of the world makes her perpetually fear doing something wrong!” (Burney 33). Of course, this ignorance is the impetus for the entire plot of the novel. As Burney explicitly states in her preface to the novel:

To draw characters from nature, though not from life, and to mark the manners of the times, is the attempted plan of the following letters. For this purpose, a young female, educated in the most secluded retirement, makes, at the age of seventeen, her first appearance upon the great and busy stage of life; with a virtuous mind, a cultivated understanding, and a feeling heart, her ignorance of the forms, and inexperience of the manners, of the world, occasion all the little incidents which these volumes record, and which form the natural progression of the life of a young woman of obscure birth, but conspicuous beauty, for the first six months after her Entrance into the world. (Burney 7-8)

By having a protagonist who is very much unaware of many of the social customs that governed British society in the eighteenth century, Burney has the freedom to comment on established conventions in a way that calls attention to them without actively condemning them. I’m curious to see how this plays out in the novel (at the moment I’m still reading Volume I), and how much Evelina assimilates into life according to these rules (if at all).

Works Cited

Burney, Frances. Evelina. New York: Penguin, 2004. Print.

4 thoughts on “Social Norms in Evelina

1. Interesting conclusion. Maybe Burney questioned whether these conventions were suitable to all individuals, even in various geographical locations. I wonder what audiences Burney sought to appeal?

2. Considering how fastidious Mr. Villars is to the rules of social engagement, it makes me wonder why Evelina was so inclined to embarrass herself as she was raised by a man who adheres to the norms. While I subconsciously took note of their manners, I hadn’t truly thought of it until now: the only thing that separates the Branghton family from the Mirvan’s are manners. Their treatment of manners branches from their inability to perceive the world around them, which is a stark contrast to Evelina’s ability to pick up on queues around her. It seems that Evelina’s obsession with the rules says a lot about her intelligence; if you’re dumb, you can’t pick up on the small things.

3. I feel that the author is trying to express her opinions in an appropriate way as a female writer at 18-century, by leading us to take the view of Evelina, Villars, and Orville, they seemed to be “too perfect,” those characters are apparently very special comparing with the others. Perhaps, I would guess, the ideas of the author hides in those charactor’s words.

4. This novel is in the genre of what we’d call the “comedy of manners” or the “novel of manners”–that is, it looks satirically at manners and behaviors as tools for social, moral, and/or political commentary. So, it’s not coincidental that Evelina is being used in this way; she is described routinely as “natural” and “unaffected,” in contrast to many of those around her–the Branghtons, Madame Duval, the Captain, Lovel, and so on. This allows Burney to construct (drawing on Lennard Davis’s ideas from last week) a normative center that is, for all that, an illusion, a fantasy. What does our being aware of this help us understand about that idea of “the norm”? Especially for female behavior?