Check out the Latest Articles:

I wanted to base my reading response off of the discussion of truths in Norwich’s book. Reading about her revelations had me thinking about people’s perceptions of truths. I grew up in a religious household, but I wasn’t introduced to religion in depth until I was around my grandmother. Norwich’s book explained her religious experiences with God in the book. I couldn’t help but wonder if what she was saying was true. Non Fiction is supposed to be real, but do you wonder if things are made up so the story is more interesting? How can we trust the author? In the first revelation she mentioned how she saw blood trickle down the crucifix, “So plenteously the hot blood ran out that there was neither seen skin nor wound, but as it were all blood” (Norwich 48). ┬áNow, does that sound real or true? Well, many people would say no. I think that it depends on your religious background. My grandmother explains all the time that she has had personal experiences with the Lord. Maybe us as the audience have to think about not taking things literally. Everything can be used as a metaphor. Maybe she didn’t mean literal blood. I just think it’s interesting how truths can mean one thing to a person and different to another. In the Smith and Watson book, they mentioned autobiographical truth, “How do we know whether and when a narrator is telling the truth or lying?” (Smith, Watson 15). I think we should be able to trust the author, because all of her revelations have meaning behind, and they’re consistent. In the future I would like the audience to think about other people’s truths. She was constantly giving the readers examples of what she experienced. I think if Julian imagined these things it would be different. If she imagined them then maybe people wouldn’t have issues with the book. They would understand that these are her thoughts. Her explaining that these things actually happened is causing criticism.