Check out the Latest Articles:

Reading this memoir definitely made me think about life writing. In Julia and Watson’s book she started to talk about life writing and late capitalism. She mentioned that writing was more personal and people wanted to relate to the narrator. Late Capitalism was after the war and on page 138 she mentioned that people liked to write more about real things that happened. Slavery, child soldiers, or the HOLOCAUST. This ties into Maus.

So, considering the context of Watson’s take on writing during late capitalism, does Maus represent that? Did Spiegleman write this so people could relate to this story, or was he just trying to get this story off of his chest? Is this life writing?

In the article I posted, Spiegelman hinted that he and his father weren’t close for some time. “Estranged” father. I could definitely see that portrayed in Maus. Artie was always arguing with his father, and I think their relationship really showed when his dad threw his jacket out. I think his dad over stepped boundaries, but was also just a frail old man. He always wanted to do things for himself, but complained when Artie didn’t help.

What do you think of their relationship? Why do you think they weren’t close? Do you think this was needed in the story? Spiegelman could’ve just told the story of his father and mother, he didn’t have to include him and his father’s relationship so much, so why do you think he did?

I know that there is a part 2, but the ending was so abrupt. I didn’t get all of my answers.

So, knowing what you know, what did you think of the ending? What did Artie mean by calling his father a murderer?

Overall, what do you think the tone of this memoir was? Why do you think it was in comic book form?

1. It‘s quiet in here! Why not leave a response?