Final Research Proposal/ Annotated Bibliography

Final Draft

Final Research Proposal

For my final research, I will be discussing the graphic memoirs impact on memoir and how readers receive it, and how people react on it. Usually people tend to read written books especially in certain topics that are serious and required focus in details such as history, politics, and illness. However, with graphic memoir readers can understand and grasp the important and serious topics and know its details easier, such as The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satarpi, it discusses a serious politics and religious situation that has happened in Iran. It is easy going and interesting. In addition, People from different ages read it and understood it very well. Therefore, I will be discussing how graphic memoirs might affect people’s perspective on various topics including cancer, and how even with the graphics and comics the memoir does not lose its profound meaning.

Moreover, I will analyze the graphic memoir Cancer Made Me a Shallower Person by Miriam Engelberg which is categorized under the category of the illness and brief memoir, which is Narrative of grief, mourning, and reparation and it is considered autothnatography as well. In Cancer Made Me a Shallower Person, Miriam Engelberg was able to describe cancer to people, especially women, very clearly.

To strengthen my final research essay, I will be using the Reading Autobiography by Sidonie Smith and Julia Watson. It will support my ideas and proof some facts and theories about this topic. For my memoir, I will be using some terms from the Reading Autobiography, such as illness memoir and graphic memoir.

Cancer Made Me a Shallower Person by Miriam Engelberg mainly talks about an adult woman who was diagnosed with breast cancer. Then, it shows the readers the stages the author passed through during her treatment journey and how she was trying to overcome this.

Annotated bibliography

Chaney, Michael A. Graphic Subjects: Critical Essays on Autobiography and Graphic Novels. The University of Wisconsin Press, 2011.

This book is a very good source for my final research project. It contains various essays that mainly talk about comics and critique it. Moreover, Michael A. Chaney examines the use of autobiography within graphic novels. It will be helpful to use especially that the memoir I am writing about is illness memoir, and it has a lot with autobiography, such as from the moment the author was living her life before cancer till the moment she decided to accept it, deal with it, and fight it.

Engelberg, Miriam. Cancer Made Me a Shallower Person: A Memoir in Comics. , 2006. Print.

This is the memoir I am going to working on. I will write a brief summary of this memoir to make it clear for the readers so they do not have question while reading my research, which then might hinder them from getting the meaning. I will be using some specific moments from the text and analyze them in order to connect them to Reading Autobiography by Smith and Watson. For example, as a woman who was diagnosed with breast cancer, how she felt? How she was dealing with her children and family?

Georgis, Dina. “Bearing Cancer in Graphic Memoir.” Canadian Woman Studies/Les Cahiers de La Femme, vol. 28, no. 2–3, 2010, pp. 105-109. EBSCOhost,search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=mlf&AN=2015701671&site=ehost-live.

This article by Dina Georgis is packed with information and facts about five different        graphic memoirs. These graphic memoirs do mainly discuss cancer and how people who   suffer from cancer live their life, and what life style they adapt once they discover they     have cancer. One of these graphic memoirs the author discuses is Cancer Made Me a   Shallower Person. In addition, the author discusses the ways each woman in these             graphic memoirs face the cancer with. They were facing challenging moment with   bearing the shocking news.

Stoddard Holmes, Martha. “Cancer Comics: Narrating Cancer through Sequential Art.” Tulsa Studies in Women’s Literature, vol. 33, no. 1, University of Tulsa, Mar. 2014, pp. 147–62.

This article talks about how cancer comics might affect the narrative. It explains in depth the effects of comics especially on cancer memoir. It discusses how the verbal and visual might be used, and how they may blur the meaning of the whole text which might ruin the main ideas. I think I am going to use a very small portion of it, and I might decide to get rid of it.

Smith, Sidonie, and Julia Watson. Reading Autobiography: A Guide for Interpreting Life Narratives. 2nd ed., University of Minnesota Press, 2010. Print.

Sidonie Smith and Julia Watson lay out some theoretical approaches to life writing and      they talk about memoir and its types and effects. This book is definitely going to be my       main source as it includes the terms I will be using to analyze the memoir. It will help me relate some definitions and terms to this memoir. For example, I will be using the graphic          memoir section and talk more about it in terms of smith and Watson book. In addition, I             will talk more in depth about the illness memoir genre.

Satrapi, Marjane. The Complete Persepolis. Pantheon, 2004.

This memoir by Marjane Satarpi discusses the theme of cultural and religion back then in Iran. It is a great example of how graphic memoirs might help readers to grasp serious topics easily. For example, when Marjane talks about the prisons and how they treat people there. She describes many kinds of torture that really made an impact on the readers, even though it is comics not a written memoir.

Waples, Emily. “Avatars, Illness, and Authority: Embodied Experience in Breast Cancer autopathographics.(Essay).” Configurations, vol. 22, no. 2, Johns Hopkins University Press, Mar. 2014, pp. 153–81, doi:10.1353/con.2014.0011.

This article by Emily Waples discuss the genres of the memoir and how the uses of the     visual verbal genre of graphic memoir can make a huge and distinct difference to deliver   the messages and the aim of the memoir. Moreover, it discusses especially the breast         cancer and the illness genre and how it might play a crucial role in the memoir. It       mentions my story I have chosen to do my research on which is Cancer Made Me a          Shallower Person by Miriam Engelberg.