The narrator in Once More We Saw Stars, started talking in the “I” voice, remembering what had happened to his little daughter, Greeta, in New York when a brick has fallen from an eighth story windowsill on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, and that shows that it is a grief and mourning memoir. When the narrator recalled what happened to his little daughter, I think he wanted to make his daughter stay in his life, still, exist in his world. It is beneficial so the narrator stays relieved and pleased. However, it is very harmful to just think about someone who was very close to us, but we cannot touch him or talk to him. It is a loss!

It is not a novel, but I was reading it as a story.  Writing memoir is great, but simultaneously difficult. Writing a very specific memoir that has our hopeless, grief, and crazy moments in-depth impacts our life both ways positive and negative. It makes us relive these moments again. Yes, I agree that writing our memory in journals does help a lot in our healing, but it has its own disadvantages too.

Work Cited:

Greene, Jayson. Once More We Saw Stars. First edition. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 2019. Print.

Smith, Sidonie, and Julia Watson. Reading Autobiography: A Guide for Interpreting Life Narratives. 2nd ed., University of Minnesota Press, 2010. Print.