9/6 Free writing

The only lie I would accept by an autobiographer is the one with which s/he protects another person’s privacy. The moment we [writers] decide to write our autobiography, we are committing toward the reader that we will be HONEST. Now,  we can forget. God forbid we are allowed to forget. No one can recall every single moment of his or her life. However, we are not allowed and we ought not to choose what to forget. In Revelations, Julian of Norwich is honest, by her own point of view. She has an experience that no one else has, and she narrates it with zeal. I could not feel betrayed because through her captivating writing she creates this feeling of the divine presence which warns me to doubt it not. In some way, I [reader] feel that I would not be a good believer if I thought for a moment that she lied.

One thought on “9/6 Free writing”

1. Hi, Christos! I’m leaving a comment here on your 1st reading response, just so you know where comments fall in the “theme” you’ve chosen for your WordPress site. I can reply to posts, but not to Pages, so I’ll keep replying to your reading responses after the latest Post, if that works for you.

I noticed a few thoughts you had that will work well as we continue reading memoir/life writing in this course. First, the line between mental illness and moving experience is blurry and often dictated by contemporary cultural values. It’s something that comes up quite a bit in life writing–is it “real,” is it a “vision” and how is emotional experience in some ways more relevant that intellectual or physical experience (or intimately connected). Second, you make a great point that writing style can dictate a reader’s response and whether the writing itself is celebrated, kept for posterity, or destroyed. We can talk about this with Hurston and Turner this week in particular, since they are both “lost” voices that are rediscovered and preserved to an extent by other writers and historians. Finally, in terms of your own writing style, it will help you enormously if you add a few specific page citations in your reading responses to locate key idea. For exams, I always ask you to refer back to moments in the text to support ideas and interpretations, so it can save time to work in specific page references to support your ideas and to ground your interpretations of moments in the text. Several great ideas to work with in this first reading post, so keep up the good work!