Warm Bodies – Novel Vs. Film

Warm Bodies the movie does not follow the exact path as within the novel. This is something we see regularly with novels being made into movies. The most important piece of reasoning is time restraint. With limitations on time usage with making a movie leads for many gapped areas of lost information that was present in the novel. This not only takes away from the plot line, but in many cases makes readers angry and they find the movie way less expressive and interesting. Warm bodies faced this problem, but at the same time the pieces taken from the novel made a new plot line that still grabbed viewers interests. The plus side of limitations opens up a new view to the readers who fell in love with the book, there was still a surprise aspect to the movie because the scenes were not all integrated into the movie giving it a new twist; for example many movies with end in a different way.

One important piece of the novel that was left out was the aspect that R gains comfort and understanding towards Julie from the brains of her boyfriend Perry. Perry was killed by R, and we do see that he is able to gain memories of his past which helps R’s living interactions—and later on we realize that Perry and R grow a connect and he helps him to transform back into his human state and become a non zombie. However, the novel emphasizes many important parts of Julie that R recovers in the memories that he uses to gain a connect. The lack of memories involving Julie makes the brain less interesting, just a way to gain memories but no reasoning behind their connection.

One other important aspect of R that is left out of the movie is his actual appearance. At the beginning of the book he explains to the readers that being a zombie means having no recollection of your past life. R doesn’t even remember his name, nonetheless information from his past. However, the only connection he has to his past in the novel is his attire, which consists of a red tie, black work pants, and a gray shirt—however in the movie he is wearing jeans, a t-shirt, and a red hoodie. Overall the color palette stays semi consistent but his past occupation is nowhere near similar. One a supposed clerk and now dressing like a kid—possible student and or laid back younger man. Swaying the one and only remembrance of a past life separated the story right from the start, which to me as to have read the book makes me a little angry that they changed the one and only thing R had to look back on his unknown past.

Overall my first difference was extremely important because through the text the explanations of each bite of the brain gave R this unimaginable feel, insight on others relationships, and a way to connect with Julie. This was such an important part to me that I enjoyed reading in the book and it did not give me the same satisfaction during the movie. My second different only involved R’s clothing, to some it might not be as much as a distraction but to me its what defined R straight out of the first chapter—the only piece of information he carried from his past life. In all, novels made into films will never be able to include all the same information which can either be a plus or a minus. In this case I saw the plus side because even though it followed the novels story it still had its own twist, which gave me excitement because I didn’t expect everything.

Work Cited

• Marion, Isaac. Warm Bodies: A Novel. New York: Atria, 2011. Print.
  • Warm Bodies. Dir. Jonathan Levine. Perf. Nicholas Hoult, Teresa Palmer, Dave Franco. Key Films ; Cecchi Gori Home Video, 2013. DVD.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.