LETTER 377: MISS CLARISSA HARLOWE TO MISS JUDITH NORTON

Sat. July 29.

I Congratulate you, my dear Mrs. Norton, with all my heart, on your son’s recovery; which I pray to God, with your own health, to perfect.

I write in some hurry, being apprehensive of the consequence of the hints you give of some method you propose

to try in my favour (With my relations, I presume you mean): But you will not tell me what, you say, if it prove unsuccessful.

Now I must beg of you, that you will not take any step in my favour, with which you do not first acquaint me.

I have but one request to make to them, besides what is contained in my letter to my sister; and I would not, methinks, for their own future peace of mind’s sake, that they should be teazed so, by your well-meant kindness, and Miss Howe’s, as to be put upon denying me that. And why should more be asked for me than I can partake of? More than is absolutely necessary for my own peace?

You suppose I should have my sister’s answer to my letter, by the time yours reached my hand. I have it; and a severe one, a very severe one, it is. Yet, considering my fault in their eyes, and the provocations I am to suppose they so newly had from my dear Miss Howe, I am to look upon it as a favour, that it was answered at all. I will send you a copy of it soon; as also of mine, to which it is an answer.

I have reason to be very thankful, that my father has withdrawn that heavy malediction, which affected me so much—A parent’s curse, my dear Mrs. Norton, what child could die in peace under a parent’s curse; so literally fulfilled too, as this has been, in what relates to this life!

My heart is too full to touch upon the particulars of my sister’s letter. —I can make but one atonement for my fault. May that be accepted! And may it soon be forgotten, by every dear relation, that there was such an unhappy daughter, sister, or niece, as Clarissa Harlowe!

My cousin Morden was one of those, who was so earned in prayers for my recovery, at nine and eleven years of age, as you mention. My sister thinks he will be one of those, who will wish I never had a being. But pray, when he does come, let me hear of it with the first.

You think, that were it not for that unhappy notion of my moving talent, my mamma would relent. What would I give to see her once more, and, altho’ unknown to her, to kiss but the hem of her garment!

Could I have thought, that the last time I saw her would have been the last, with what difficulty should I have bee

torn from her embraced feet! —And when, skreen’d behind the yew-hedge on the 5th of April last ( a ) I saw my father, and my uncle Antony, and my brother and sister, how little did I think, that That would be the last time I should ever see them; and, in so short a space, that so many dreadful evils would befal me!

But I can write nothing, but what must give you trouble. I will therefore, after repeating my desire, that you will not intercede for me, but with my previous consent, conclude with the assurance, that I am, and ever will be,

Your most affectionate and dutiful Clarissa Harlowe

This entry was posted in from Clarissa Harlowe, to Mrs. Judith Norton and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.