LETTER 373: MISS HOWE TO THE TWO MISSES MONTAGUE

Sat. July 29.

Dear Ladies,
I have not been wanting to use all my interest with my beloved friend, to induce her to forgive and be reconciled to your kinsman (tho’ he has so ill deserved it); and have even repeated my earnest advice to her on this head. This repetition, and the waiting for her answer, having taken up time, have been the cause, that I could ¬†not sooner do myself the honour of writing to you on this subject.

You will see, by the inclosed, her immoveable resolution, grounded on noble and high-soul’d motives, which I cannot but regret and applaud at the same time: Applaud, for the justice of her determination, which will confirm all your worthy house in the opinion you had conceived of her unequalled merit; and regret, because I have but too much reason to apprehend, as well by that, as by the report of a gentleman just come from her, that she is in such a declining way, as to her health, that her thoughts are very differently employed than on a continuance here.

The inclosed letter she thought fit to send to me unsealed, that, after I had perused it, I might forward it to you: And this is the reason it is superscribed by myself, and sealed with my seal. It is very full and peremptory; but as she had been pleased, in a letter to me, dated the 23d instant (as soon as she could hold a pen), to give me ampler reasons, why she could not comply with your pressing requests, as well as mine, I will transcribe some of the passages in that letter, which will give one of the wickedest men in the world (if he sees them) reason to think himself one of the unhappiest, in the loss of so incomparable a wife, as he might have gloried in, had he not been so superlatively wicked. These are the passages:

[See, for these passages, Miss Harlowe’s letter, N o . lxvi . dated July 23. marked with turn’d comma’s, thus “]

And now, ladies, you have before you my beloved friend’s reasons for her refusal of a man unworthy of the relation he bears to so many excellent persons: And I will add (for I cannot help it), that, the merit and rank of the person considered, and the vile manner of his proceedings, there never was a greater villainy committed: And since she thinks her first and only fault cannot be expiated but by death, I pray to God daily, and willhourly from the moment I shall hear of that sad catastrophe, that He will be pleased to make him the subject of his vengeance, in some such way, as that all who know of his perfidious crime, may see the hand of Heaven in the punishment of it.

You will forgive me, ladies; I love not my own soul ¬†better than I do Miss Clarissa Harlowe: And the distresses she has gone thro’; and the persecutions she suffers from all her friends; the curse she lies under, for his sake, from her implacable father; her reduced health and circumstances, from high health and affluence; and that execrable arrest and confinement, which have deepened all her other calamities (and which must be laid at his door, as the action of his vile agents, that, whether from his immediate orders or not, naturally flowed from his preceding baseness); the Sex dishonoured in the eye of the world, in the person of one of the greatest ornaments of it; his unmanly methods, whatever they were (for I know not all as yet), of compassing her ruin; all join to justify my warmth, and my execrations, against a man, whom I think excluded by his crimes from the benefit even of christian forgiveness—And were you to see all she writes, and the admirable talents she is mistress of, you yourselves would join to admire her, and execrate him, as I do.

Believe me to be, with a high sense of your merits,

Dear Ladies,
Your most obedient humble Servant,
Anna Howe .

This entry was posted in from Mrs. Howe, To: Two Misses Montague and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.