LETTER 375: MRS NORTON TO MRS HARLOWE

Friday, July 28.

Honoured Madam,
Being forbidden, without leave, to send you anything I might happen to receive from my beloved Miss Clary, and so ill, that I cannot attend to askyour leave, I give you this trouble, to let you know, that I have received a letter from her; which, I think, I should hereafter be held inexcuseable, as things may happen, if I did not desire permission to communicate it to you, and that as soon as possible.

Applications have been made to the dear young lady from Lord M. from the two ladies his sisters, and from both his nieces, and from the wicked man himself, to forgive and marry him. This, in noble indignation for the usage she has received from him, she has absolutely refused. And perhaps, Madam, if you and the honoured family should be of opinion, that to comply with their wishes is now the properest measure that can be taken, the circumstances of things may require your authority or advice, either to induce her to change her mind, or to confirm her in it.

I have reason to believe, that one motive for her refusal, is her full conviction, that she shall not long be a trouble to

any-body; and so she would not give a husband a right to interfere with her family, in relation to the estate her grandfather bequeathed to her. But of this, however, I have not the least intimation from her. Nor would she, I dare say, mention it, as a reason, having still stronger to refuse him, from his vile treatment of her.

The letter I have received will shew how truly penitent the dear creature is; and if I have your permission, I will send it sealed up, with a copy of mine, to which it is an answer. But as I resolve upon this step without her knowlege (and indeed I do), I will not acquaint her with it, unless it be attended with desirable effects: Because, otherwise, besides making me incur her displeasure, it might quite break her already half-broken heart.

I am, honoured Madam,

Your dutiful and ever-obliged Servant,
Judith Norton

This entry was posted in from Mrs. Norton, to Mrs. Harlowe and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.