LETTER 326: MR LOVELACE, TO JOHN BELFORD

Wedn. July 12. 

So, Jack, they think they have gain’d a mighty point. But, were I to change my mind, were I to repent, I fancy I am safe. —And yet this very moment it rises to my mind, that ’tis hard trusting too; for surely there must be some embers, where there was fire so lately, that may be stirr’d up to give a blaze to combustibles strew’d lightly upon them. Love (like some self-propagating plants or roots, which have taken strong hold in the earth), when once got deep into the heart, is hardly ever totally extirpated, except by Matrimony indeed, which is the Grave of Love, because it allows of the End of Love. Then these ladies, all advocates for herself, withherself, Miss Howe at their head, perhaps—Not in favour to me—I don’t expect That from Miss Howe. —But perhaps in favour to herself : For Miss Howe has reason to apprehend vengeance from me, I ween. Her Hickman will be safe too, as she may think, if I marry her beloved friend: For he has been a busy fellow, and I have long wish’d to have a slap at him! —The lady’s case desperate with her friends too; and likely to be so, while single, and her character exposed to censure.

A husband is a charming cloak; a fig-leaf’d apron for a wife: And for a lady to be protected in liberties, in diversions, which her heart pants after—and all her faults, even the most criminal, were she to be detected, to be thrown upon the husband, and the ridicule too; a charming eligible for a wife!

But I shall have one comfort, if I marry, which pleases me not a little. If a man’s wife has a dear friend of her sex, a hundred liberties may be taken with that friend, which could not be taken, if the single lady (knowing what a title to freedoms marriage has given him with herfriend ) was not less scrupulous with him than she ought to be, as to herself . Then there are broad freedoms (shall I call them?) that may be taken by the husband with his wife, that may not be quite shocking, which if the wife bears before her friend, will serve for a lesson tothat friend ; and if that friend bears to be present at them without check or bashfulness, will shew a sagacious fellow, that she can bear as much herself, at proper time and place. Chastity, Jack, like Piety, is an uniform thing. If in look, if in speech, a girl waves way to undue levity, depend upon it, the devil has got one of his cloven feet in her heart already– So, Hickman, take care of thyself, I advise thee, whether I marry or not.

Thus, Jack, have I at once reconciled myself to all my relations—And, if the lady refuses me, thrown the fault upon her. This, I knew, would be in my power to do at any time: And I was the more arrogant to them, in order to heighten the merit of my compliance.

But after all, It would be very whimsical, would it not, if all my plots and contrivances should end in wedlock? What a punishment would this come out to be, upon myself too, that all this while I have been plundering my own treasury?

But, Jack, two things I must insist upon with thee, if this is to be the case. —Having put secrets of so high a nature between me and my spouse into thy power, I must, for my own honour and the honour of my wife and my illustrious progeny, first oblige thee to give up the letters I have so profusely scribbled to thee; and, in the next place, do by thee, as I have heard whisper’d in France was done by the truefather of a certain monarque; that is to say, cut thy throat, to prevent thy telling of tales.

I have found means to heighten the kind opinion my friends here have begun to have of me, by communicating to them the contents of the four last letters which I wrote to press my elected spouse to solemnize. My Lord has repeated one of his phrases in my favour, that he hopes it will come out, That the devil is not quite so black as he is painted .

Now pr’ythee, dear Jack, since so many good consequences are to flow from these our nuptials (one of which to thyself ; since the sooner thou diest, the less thou wilt have to answer for); and that I now-and-then am apt to believe there may be something in the old fellow’s notion, who once told us, that he who kills a man, has all that man’s sins to answer for, as well as his own, because he gave him not the time to repent of them, that Heaven design’d to allow him (A fine thing for thee if thou consentest to be knock’d of the head; but a cursed one for the manslayer!); and since there may be room to fear, that Miss Howe will not give us her help; I pr’ythee now exert thyself to find out my Clarissa Harlowe, that I may make a Lovelace of her. Set all the city bellmen, and the country criers, for ten miles round the metropolis, at work, with their “O yes’s! and if any man, woman or child can give tale or tidings” —Advertise her in all the news-papers; and let her know, “That if she will repair to Lady Betty Lawrence, or to Miss Charlotte Montague, she may hear of something greatly to her advantage.”

My two cousins Montague are actually to set out tomorrow, to Mrs. Howe’s, to engage her vixen daughter’s interest with her friend: To flaunt it away in a chariot and six, for the greater state and significance.

Confounded mortification to be reduced thus low! — My pride hardly knows how to brook it.

Lord M. has engaged the two venerables to stay here, to attend the issue: And I, standing very high at present in their good graces, am to gallant them to Oxford, to Blenheim, and several other places.

This entry was posted in from Robert Lovelace, to John Belford and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.