LETTER 325: MR. LOVELACE IN CONTINUATION

Mr. Lovelace . In Continuation.

It is much better, Jack, to tell your own story, when it must be known, than to have an adversary tell it for you. Conscious of this, I gave them a particular account, how urgent I had been with her to fix upon the Thursday after I left her (it being her uncle Harlowe’s anniversary birth-day, and named to oblige her) for the private celebration; having some days before actually procured a Licence, which still remained with her.

That, not being able to prevail upon her to promise any thing, while under a supposed restraint; I offered to leave her at full liberty, if she would give me the least hope for that day. But neither did this offer avail me.

That this inflexibleness making me desperate, I resolved to add to my former fault, by giving directions, that she should not either go, or correspond, out of the house, till I returned from M. Hall; well knowing, that, if she were at full liberty, I must for ever lose her.

That this constraint had so much incensed her, that altho’ I wrote no less than four different letters, I could not procure a single word in answer; tho’ I pressed her but for four words to signify the day and the church.

I referred to my two cousins to vouch for me the extraordinary methods I took to send messengers to town, tho’ they knew not the occasion: Which now I told them, was this .

I acquainted them, that I even had wrote to you, Jack, and to another gentleman, of whom I thought she had a good opinion, to attend her, in order to press for her compliance; holding myself in readiness the last day, at Salt-hill, to meet the messenger they should send, and proceed to London, if his message were favourable: But that, before they could attend her, she had found means to fly away once more: And is now, said I, perch’d perhaps, somewhere under Lady Betty’s window at Glenham Hall; and there, like the sweet Philomela, a thorn in her breast, warbles forth her melancholy complaints against her barbarous Tereus.

Lady Betty declared, That she was not with her ; nor did she know where she was. She should be, she added, the most welcome guest to her, that she ever received.

In truth, I had a suspicion, that she was already in their knowlege, and taken into their protection; for Lady Sarah I imagin’d incapable of being roused to this spirit by a letter only from Miss Harlowe, and that not directed to herself; she being a very indolent and melancholy woman. But her sister, I find, had wrought her up to it: For Lady Betty is as officious and managing a woman as Mrs. Howe; but of a much more generous and noble disposition. —She is my aunt, Jack.

I supposed, I said, that her Ladyship might have a private direction where to send to her. I spoke, as I wish’d: I would have given the world, to have heard, that she was inclined to cultivate the interest of any of my family.

Lady Betty answer’d, that she had no direction but what was in the letter; which she had scratched out, and which, it was probable, was only a temporary one, in order to avoid me: Otherwise she would hardly have directed an answer to be left at an inn. And she was of opinion, that

to apply to Miss Howe would be the only certain way to succeed in any application for forgiveness, would I enable that young lady to interest herself in procuring it.

Miss Charlotte . Permit me to make a proposal. —Since we are all of one mind in relation to the justice due to Miss Harlowe, if Mr. Lovelace will oblige himself to marry her, I will make Miss Howe a visit, little as I am acquainted with her; and endeavour to engage her interest to forward the desired reconciliation. And if this can be done, I make no question but all may be happily accommodated; for every-body knows the love there is between Miss Harlowe and Miss Howe.

MARRIAGE, with these women, thou seest, Jack, is an atonement for all we can do to them. A true dramatic recompence!

This motion was highly approved of; and I gave my honour, as desired, in the fullest manner they could wish.

Lady Sarah . Well then, cousin Charlotte, begin your treaty with Miss Howe, out of hand.

Lady Betty . Pray do. And let Miss Harlowe be told, that I am ready to receive her, as the welcomest of guests: And I will not have her out of my sight till the knot is tied.

Lady Sarah . Tell her from me, That she shall be my daughter! —Instead of my poor Betsey! —And shed a tear in remembrance of her lost daughter.

Lord M. What say you, Sir, to this?

Lovel. Content, my Lord. I speak in the language of your house.

Lord M. We are not to be fooled, nephew. No quibbling. We will have no slur put upon us.

Lovel. You shall not. And yet, I did not intend to marry, if she exceeded the appointed Thursday. But, I think, according to her own notions, that I have injured her beyond reparation, altho’ I were to make her the best of husbands; as I am resolved to be, if she will condescend, as I will call it, to have me. And be This cousin Charlotte, my part of your commission to say.

This pleased them all.

Lord M. Give thy hand, Bob! —-Thou talkest like a man of honour at last. I hope we may depend upon what thou sayest?

The Ladies eyes put the same question to me.

Lovel. You may, my Lord. You may, Ladies. Absolutely you may.

Then was the personal character of the lady, as well as her more extraordinary talents and endowments, again expatiated upon: And Miss Patty, who had once seen her, launched out more than all the rest in her praise. These were followed by Family-cogencies ; what never are forgotten to be inquired after in marriage-treaties, the principal inducements to the Sages of a family, and the least to be mentioned by the Parties themselves, altho’ even by them, perhaps, the first thought of: That is to say, inquisition into the lady’s fortune; into the particulars of the grandfather’s estate; and what her father, and her single-soul’d uncles, will probably do for her, if a reconciliation be effected; as, by their means, they make no doubt but it will, between both families, if it be not my fault. The two Venerables [No longer Tabbies with me now] hinted at rich presents on their own parts; and my Lord declared, that he would make such overtures in my behalf, as should render my marriage with Miss Harlowe the best day’s work I ever made; and what, he doubted not, but would be as agreeable to that family, as to myself.

Thus, at present, by a single hair, hangs over my head the matrimonial sword. And thus ended my tryal. And thus are we all friends; and Cousin and Cousin, and Nephew and Nephew, at every word.

Did ever Comedy end more happily, than this long tryal?

This entry was posted in from Robert Lovelace, to John Belford and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.