LETTER 305: MRS HODGES TO MISS CLARISSA HARLOWE

letter

I return you an anser, as you wish me to doe. Master is acquented with no sitch man. I am shure no sitch ever came to our house. And master sturs very little out. He has no harte to stur out. For why? Your obstincy makes um not care to see one another. Master’s birth-day never was keept soe before: For not a sole heere; and nothing but siking and sorrowin from master, to think how it yused to bee.

I axsed master, if soe bee he knoed sitch a man as one Captain Tomlinson? But sayed not whirfor I axsed. He sed, No, not he.

Shure this is no trix nor forgary bruing agenst master by won Tomlinson—Won knoes not what cumpany you may have bin forsed to keep, sen you went away, you knoe, Maddam. Ecscuse me, Maddam; but Lundon is a pestilent plase; and that Squire Luveless is a devil (for all he is sitch a like gentleman to look to), as I hev herd every boddy say; and thinke as how you have found by thiss.

I truste, Maddam, you wulde not let master cum to harme, if you knoed it, by any boddy, whoe may pretend too be acquented with him: But, for fere, I querid with myself iff I shulde not tell him. Butt I was willin to show you, that I wulde plessure you in advarsity, if advarsity bee youre lott, as wel as prosprity; for I am none of those as woulde doe otherwis. Soe noe more frum

Your humbell sarvant, to wish you well,
Sarah Hodges .

This entry was posted in FROM MRS HODGES, to Clarissa Harlowe and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.