LETTER 188: MISS HOWE TO MISS CLARISSA HARLOWE

Thursday, May 18.

I Have neither time nor patience, my dear friend, is to answer to every material article in your last letters, just now received. Mr. Lovelace’s proposals are all I like of him. And yet (as you do) I think, that he concludes them not with that warmth and earnestness which we might naturally have expected from him. Never in my life did I hear or read of so patient a man, with such a blessing in his reach. But wretches of his cast, between you and me, my dear, have not, I fancy, the ardors that honest men have. Who knows, as your Bell once spitefully said, but he may have half a dozen creatures to quit his hands of, before he engages for life? —Yet I believe you must not expect him to be honest on this side of his grand climacteric.

He, to suggest delay from a compliment to be made to Lord M. and to give time for settlements! — He, a part of whose character it is, not to know what complaisance to his relations is! —I have no patience with him! —You did indeed want an interposing friend, on the affecting occasion which you mention in yours of yesterday morning. But, upon my word, were I to have been that moment in your situation, and been so treated, I would have torn his

eyes out, and left it to his own heart, when I had done, to furnish the reason for it.

Would to Heaven to-morrow, without complimenting any-body, might be his happy day! —Villain! After he had himself suggested the compliment! —And I think he accuses You of delaying! —Fellow, that he is! — How my heart is wrung—

But, as matters now stand betwixt you, I am very unseasonable in expressing my resentments against him. —Yet I don’t know whether I am or not, neither; since it is the cruellest of fates, for a woman to be forced to have a man whom her heart despises. You must, at least, despise him; at times, however. His clenched fist offered to his forehead on your leaving him in just displeasure; I wish it had been a poleax, and in the hand of his worst enemy.

I will endeavour to think of some method, of some scheme, to get you from him, and to fix you safely somewhere, till your cousin Morden arrives: A scheme to lie by you, and to be pursued as occasion may be given. You are sure, that you can go abroad when you please; and that our correspondence is safe. I cannot, however, for the reasons heretofore mentioned, respecting your own reputation, wish you to leave him, while he gives you not cause to suspect his honour. But your heart, I know, would be the easier, if you were sure of some asylum, in case of necessity.

Yet once more, I say, I can have no notion that he can or dare to mean you dishonour. —But then the man is a fool, my dear—that’s all.

However, since you are thrown upon a fool, marry the fool, at the first opportunity; and tho’ I doubt that this man will be the most ungovernable of fools as all witty and vain fools are, take him as a punishment, since you cannot as a reward. In short, as one given, to convince you, that there is nothing but imperfection in this life.

I shall be impatient till I have your next. I am, my dearest friend,

Your ever-affectionate and faithful
Anna Howe .

This entry was posted in from Anna Howe, to Clarissa Harlowe and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.