LETTER 164: MISS HOWE, TO MISS CLARISSA HARLOWE

Wedn. May 3.

I am astonished that my mother should take such a step—purely to exercise an unreasonable act of authority; and to oblige the most remorseless hearts in the world. If I find, that I can be of use to you either by advice or information, do you think I will not give it? —Were it to any other person, less dear to me than you are, do you think, in such a case, I would forbear giving it?—

Mr. Hickman, who pretends to a little casuistry in such nice matters, is of opinion, that I ought not to decline a correspondence thus circumstanced. And ’tis well he is; for my mother having set me up, I must have somebody to quarrel with.

This I will come into, if it will make you easy: I will forbear to write to you for a few days, if nothing extraordinary happen;—and till the rigour of her prohibition is abated. But be assured, that I will not dispense with your writing to me. My heart, my conscience, my honour, will not permit it.

But how will I help myself?—How!—Easy enough. For I do assure you, that I want but very little further provocation to fly privately to London: And if I do, I will not leave you till I see you either honourably married, or absolutely quit of the wretch: And in this last case, I will take you down with me, in defiance of the whole world: Or, if you refuse to go with me, stay with you, and accompany you as your shadow whithersoever you go.

Don’t be frighted at this declaration. There is but one consideration, and but one hope, that with-hold me; watched as I am in all my retirements; obliged to read to her without a voice; to work in her presence without fingers; and to lie with her every night against my will. The consideration is, Lest you should apprehend that a step of this nature would look like a doubling of your fault, in the eyes of such as think your going away a fault. The hope is, That things will still end happily, and that some people will have reason to take shame to themselves for the sorry parts they have acted—Nevertheless I am often balancing. But your resolving to give up the correspondence at this crisis, will turn the scale. Write therefore, or take the consequence.

A few words upon the subject of your last letters. — I know not whether your brother’s wise project be given up or not. A dead silence reigns in your family. Your brother was absent three days; then at home one; and is now absent: But whether with Singleton or not, I cannot find out.

By your account of your wretch’s companions, I see not but they are a set of infernals, and he the Beelzebub. What could he mean, as you say, by his earnestness to bring you into such company, and to give you such an opportunity to make him and them reflecting-glasses to one another? The man’s a fool, to be sure, my dear. —A silly fellow, at least. — They must put on their best before you, no doubt. — Lord of the creation! —Noble fellows these! —Yet who knows how many poor despicable souls of our sex the worst of them has had to whine after him!

You have brought an inconvenience upon yourself, as you observe, by your refusal of Miss Partington for your bedfellow. Pity you had not admitted her. Watchful as you are, what could have happened? If violence were intended, he would not stay for the right. You might have sat up after her, or not gone
to bed. Mrs. Sinclair pressed it too far. You was over-scrupulous.

If any thing happens to delay your nuptials, I would advise you to remove: But if you marry, you may, perhaps, think it no great matter to stay where you are, till you take possession of your own estate. The knot once tied, and with so resolute a man, it is my opinion, your relations will soon resign what they cannot legally hold: And, were even a litigation to follow, you will not be able, nor ought you to bewilling, to help it: For your estate will then be his right; and it will be unjust to wish it to be with-held from him.

One thing I would advise you to think of; and that is, of proper settlements: It will be to the credit of your prudence, and of his justice (and the more as matters stand), that something of this should be done, before you marry. Bad as he is, nobody accounts him a sordid man. And I wonder he has been hitherto silent on that subject.

I am not displeased with his proposal about the widow lady’s house. I think it will do very well. But if it must be three weeks before you can be certain about it; surely you need not put off his day for that space: And he may bespeak his equipages. Surprising to me, that he could be so acquiescent!

I repeat—Continue to write to me: —I insist upon it; and that as minutely as possible: Or, take the consequence. I send this by a particular hand. I am, and ever will be,

Your most affectionate
Anna Howe.

This entry was posted in from Anna Howe, to Clarissa Harlowe and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.