Rocking Media Marketing-as told through an Internship

Just another Marymount University Commons site

Life, academics, work, what separates them?

April15

Previously, I have been very personal and fun in my blog posts. The interesting stuff that I’ve been working on has been highlighted and discussed. I haven’t done a great job at telling everyone how I’ve connected with my academic career and internship simultaneously.

So many believe that when we graduate we stop being tested. Those all too common phrases of “when I graduate, I won’t have to do this anymore” are spoken on every academic campus in the world. Learning does not stop when we leave the classroom, I think it begins. While we take courses like creative writing, or major women writers and hope to refine our skills, it is only when we experience the topics that we pursue, that they become concrete in memories and lives. For myself, the most important lesson that I’ve taken away from the internship and my courses is to remove all traces of my voice from media when I post on behalf of someone else. Although our opinions will always sneak through it is imperative that the audience not know who is behind the words.

At Marymount, the most common advice that every single professor has given me, (education and English alike) has been to join the conversation. Not necessarily lead, or skim, but join. When we are researching topics we aren’t professionals in the field that is why we are researching something. At the academic level of undergraduate, and sometimes graduate, we aren’t leading the way of the conversation, we are still joining it. So then, how do we separate our lives from academics and work?

That’s easy to answer. We don’t.

We take all of the lessons, assignments, everything in between and apply it to our life. The goal is not to “never do something again”, but to learn and become better at what we did. That is why an internship is necessary for college. The moment that we start thinking we are too good to learn something new or to start at the bottom, I think we fail ourselves. I’m so guilty of this. It’s taken quite a lot of self-reflection to understand that I came to Marymount, and Rock Church to learn because I am not an expert. I am so grateful for those who have come along the way with me, and helped me join the conversation.

by posted under Uncategorized | No Comments »    

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment: