Rocking Media Marketing-as told through an Internship

Just another Marymount University Commons site

Mistakes on the #’s?!- My mentor has my back.

February12

Social media management can be overwhelming, even to the most experienced people. There are critics everywhere who are not as nice and accepting of a simple grammar error as others. Unfortunately, simple mistakes in grammar cost us a slot in an SEO ranking. Proofreading is the ultimate key! Something that I am not the most consistent with, because I make mistakes frequently.

This instance is nothing short of a mistake that could have been prevented.

It was late and I was multitasking with a class discussion and a Canva design. I have been using Hootsuite for RockChurch since I gained my “official email address”. Hootsuite only catches so much, and Grammarly had accidentally been turned off!

Are you counting the mistakes yet? There are plenty.

Anyhow, as I was wrapping up the discussion and typing along the #samemessagedifferentlanguage I got the words backward. Me being me, tired and in a rush, I didn’t proofread it-hit post and went to bed. Theresa caught it when a friend of hers sent her a message asking what #samelanguagedifferentmessage meant. (She is really well-humored, thank goodness!) She logged into the accounts and fixed it real quick for me.

What stuck with me though, is how slow she was to anger. At no point did she get angry or upset. She knew it was a common error, and just let it go. One of the best things I can say about this mistake is it showed me to be slow to respond, not quick to react. Especially when dealing with social media. We can get so swept up in the tone of a comment, that we will misinterpret the message altogether. That is why proofreading is such a valuable skill to learn. It allows us to take time and reflect on what we are trying to do or say, before completing the action. Because Theresa reacted the way she did, I have strived to provide them with a higher content of work than before (well, and I’m learning more each week). Ultimately though, I have worked to proofread everything I do, even off of social media. If we can control what social media sees, why don’t we control that in our own work ethic as well?

by posted under Uncategorized | No Comments »    

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment: